– Help ensure we have your loved ones contact information if you have friends or family in Nepal. Call 1-800-387-3124/ email@example.com
– Canadians in Nepal: For emergency consular assistance call + 977 (1) 444-1976 or firstname.lastname@example.org
April 25, 2015 – Ottawa, Ontario – Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada
The Honourable Christian Paradis, Minister of International Development and La Francophonie, announced today that the Government of Canada will support experienced humanitarian organizations with $5 million to provide life-saving assistance to meet the urgent needs of people affected by the earthquake in Nepal. Canada is also a contributor to international rapid response mechanisms that ensure partner organizations are able to act immediately at the onset of a crisis.
“Canada is deeply concerned by the impact of this catastrophic earthquake in Nepal,” said Minister Paradis. “Canada remains committed to supporting the most vulnerable people in this tragedy. Our thoughts and prayers are with those affected by this natural disaster.”
Canada’s timely assistance will help to provide the affected with access to food, drinking water, shelter and health, hygiene and protection services.
The Government of Canada will continue to monitor the situation and will provide further assistance if required to help meet life-saving needs.
- On April 25, 2015, a 7.8-magnitude earthquake centered 80 kilometres from the capital, Kathmandu, struck Nepal.
- Canada’s support is in response to the Government of Nepal’s request for international assistance.
- Canada’s humanitarian assistance helps save lives, alleviate suffering and maintain the dignity of people in developing countries affected by natural disasters requiring a humanitarian response.