July 22, 2015, STRATFORD, ONTARIO – The Honourable Diane Finley, Minister of Public Works and Government Services, on behalf of the Honourable Julian Fantino, Associate Minister of National Defence, today announced infrastructure projects worth more than $15.5 million for five Armouries in southern Ontario. These investments will improve the Armouries and help boost local job creation throughout the region.
The Stratford Armoury will receive a $1.8 million investment to :
- replace the roof;
- replace emergency lighting;
- install sprinklers; and
- remove asbestos throughout the building.
The Sarnia Armoury will receive $1.7 million. The work includes:
- interior and exterior renovations; and
- health and safety upgrades.
In Hamilton, nearly $6.9 million will be invested in the John Foote VC Armoury to:
- remodel building interior, including new walls, floors and ceilings;
- replace heating, ventilation and air conditioning system;
- replace all windows; and
- repair retaining wall.
In Barriefield, more than $3.4 million will be invested to:
- repair heating, ventilation and air conditioning system;
- replace boiler; and
- interior painting.
More than $1.7 million will be invested in the Guelph Armoury to:
- repair exterior walls;
- replace heating and electrical components; and
- enhance existing sprinkler system.
- The federal infrastructure investments announced by Prime Minister Stephen Harper in November 2014 will build and renew infrastructure across the country, and create jobs to boost economic prosperity for local communities.
- The Department of National Defence has received $452 million for the repair and upgrade of Canadian Armed Forces facilities.
- Over the next two years, $135 million will be invested in projects involving repairs to roofs, siding, plumbing, and heating and ventilation system at Armouries across Canada. By completing this work, DND will ultimately improve the efficiency and reduce maintenance costs at these facilities.
- The Government estimates that accelerated investments will also support the creation of more than 10,000 jobs in communities across Canada by the end of 2016.
“This $15.5 million investment will help provide our brave members of the Canadian Armed Forces with safe, modern facilities at which to train. Their efforts to keep this country safe are invaluable, our Government and all Canadians are grateful for their hard work and dedication. This significant investment will also help spur job creation and encourage economic growth throughout Southern Ontario.”
Honourable Diane Finley, Minister of Public Works and Government Services
“Investments at these Armouries help ensure our men and women in uniform, including our Reservists, continue to support operations at home and abroad. Our Government is proud of the Canadian Armed Forces and we are committed to make sure they have the facilities they need to train and operate effectively.”
Honourable Julian Fantino, Associate Minister of National Defence